Sunday, June 3, 2007

Destination Nilgiri

Well its time for me to get out of the city. John Paul won't be traveling as much as we had thought so its time for me to go. I'm a country boy trapped in the city. Oil and water don't mix. I'm choking on smog because emmisions standards is a phrase which does not yet existhere. My ears are bleeding from the oddle-oddle-oo of the car horns. That's the sound they make here, think of a chicken going cock-a-doodle-doodle-ooo. The chicken is the father and a horn is the mother. Think of the offspring crying. And its all the time. There is not really and structure to driving here so everyone uses there horns to alert other drivers of their whereabouts. Cars, rickshaws, buses, bikes, moped, and pedestrians all follow the same path on the street. Somehow they don't crash, its amazing.
Well anyways I'll be traveling into the Nilgiri Hills. It is in the center of southern India in the Blue Mountains. There are tea plantation scattered about the region and there is a large wildlife park nearby. I'm not sure how long I'm staying here, I'll see how much I like it and decide. I leave tonight on an overnight train. I think its about 10 hours. The total cost was 255 rupees, or about 6 American Dollars. Cheap traveling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

COCK A DOODLE DOO - MY LITTLE CHICK A DEE IS LEAVING THE NEST. BE CAREFUL- I GUESS THE EARLY BIRD CATCHERS THE WORM. AS ALTON JONES WOULD SAY "GOOD EATS"
LOVE MAMA BOOF

MooMoo said...

I'm jealous to the maxxxx. I get to stay in Chennai and slowly lose my ability to hear.
oodle-oodle-ooooo

Anonymous said...

John - all i can say is what an absolutely AMAZING experience. I am beyond jealous. If I get to Boston this summer, I'll be lucky. Soak it up b/c the "real world" is not as stimulating.

Signed, "Sweet Cousin"
(it's a name I earned on the Kelly side of the family that might apply well in this media)

Anonymous said...

Hey, cousin! I'm glad to hear that you are exploring the world. I'll be headed to Taiwan pretty soon, probably July. Perhaps we can meet up :-) One of my best friends is in India now actually. Would you be interested in meetin up with her? Enjoy every minute...

Anonymous said...

Have a spot of tea for me